How to prepare for your pre-construction kickoff meeting
You’re at one of the most critical phases in your project during which all the planning and detailing occurs. As construction work starts in your home, you will also be communicating with both your Billdr project manager and your chosen contractor. While you may have a detailed scope, budget, and contract in place, there will always be details to iron out when it comes to how the day-to-day work unfolds between you and your contractor.
To set your project up for success, your Billdr project manager will facilitate a project kickoff meeting with you and your contractor.
In this short guide, we’ll cover three key points about your pre-construction kickoff meeting:
- Why is a kickoff meeting important?
- What information will be covered during the meeting?
- What happens after the meeting?
Note that we will be updating this page to include more information and keep it relevant. We recommend that you bookmark this page and come back regularly to revisit its content and stay up-to-date with our latest home renovation tips.
Why is a kickoff meeting important?
Your Billdr project manager will work with you to schedule a kickoff meeting over Zoom or in person with your contractor. This kickoff meeting will be a good opportunity for you to ask all lingering questions that you may have and get clarification on the construction process for your project. Your dedicated project manager will then prepare a detailed agenda of all the talkpoints that need to be addressed during the meeting to ensure that you are well prepared for your renovations ahead.
What information will be covered during the meeting?
The pre-construction kickoff meeting will give you more insight on the following:
- What is every stakeholder’s contact information (e.g. homeowner, project manager, general contractor, designer, etc.) and the best way to contact each other?
- What is the role of a Billdr project manager?
- What is the detailed project scope? Are there any remaining decisions, risks, or questions related to any of the tasks described?
- When will construction begin and how long will it take?
- When will the pre-construction photoshoot be scheduled?
- Where will you store your possessions during construction?
- What materials are left to procure and who will procure them?
- Who are the product suppliers?
- What will the work hours be?
- How are change orders handled?
- What are the payment terms and how will you be billed?
- Is it a condo? Who is the property manager and what are the restrictions?
- Are there any health and safety concerns to be aware of?
While most concerns will be addressed through this list, the latter remains flexible. Any other topic can be discussed — we want to provide you with all the information you need for a successful project. The main purpose of this meeting is to open up a safe and collaborative space for communication. Your Billdr project manager will note down key takeaways from this meeting to keep a written record of everything that was discussed and to ensure that everyone is made aware and is on the same page.
What happens after the meeting?
After the kickoff meeting, your Billdr project manager will share those meeting notes, so that any action items can be taken care of. They will also set up a group chat on WhatsApp (or any other preferred group messaging app) to keep communications going all throughout the project. Finally, they will build you a shared project folder which will contain all the documentation for your project, including progress photos and site visit reports.
Should you have any questions or need further assistance, consider your Billdr project manager as your main point of contact for the rest of your renovations!
Read our Dos and don'ts when construction starts guide for more advice on how to prepare for your renovations.